Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 1 : August 5th : Headed for La Crosse


Aunt Katherine
I was six years late getting there
But it sure was worth it

We are grabbing Amtrak in La Crosse to repay a personal debt.
The twin sister of my former mother in law and her late husband Harvey  were extremely cordial to me in my youth. They live in Ferryville, which used to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the largest town with only one street.  Then in the 80s a guy from Chicago bought some property up on the bluff and had a road putt in.  Uncle Harvey was the Gentleman's Gentleman  and when he passed in 2008 I was unable to attend, just having had a hip replacement. The following year I had my first cancer surgery, and this is really the first travel we have done, regardless of the fact I had a second surgery last summer that turned out to be much more threatening than the first. In 2004 we attended the 50th wedding anniversary of my Ferryville former relations and relished trying to explain it to the 400 folks gathered in Prairie (they say Ferryville was empty that day) . Good people are the most important thing to me in the world, and stopping to see her for eve an hour means a lot to me.
We will either stay in Ferryville that night or go up to La Crosse. Gives us time to relax . We emailed the Grandview Inn to check on room availability. It would have been easier to stop in Davenport,, or maybe my old College town and just come up the next morning, but I can handle 700 miles in ten hours asleep. And that way we could spend as much time with Katherine the next day.


The visit was wonderful, and we enjoyed her cooking.  She is 80 something, looks 60 something and acts 40 something. What an awesome lady.


Two Charming Ladies



The Grandview 
True to it's name


Complete with a fish cleaning shack !







No comments:

Post a Comment