Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 4 August 8th: Two Medicine Boat Ride – Many Glacier




An Ohio Escapee

Working the East Glacier gig


The morning turned out to be a glorious sixty degree sun filled experience. I went down to the lobby and got coffee for She Who Must Be Obeyed and a cup of tea for myself. Just sat on and soaked the beauty on the balcony like a hog in slop.



What you don't see

When you arrive at 1:40 am



A leisurely breakfast in the Great Northern Dining room followed. Great French Toast for me (going through Amtrak withdrawal) and Huckleberry pancakes for the better half. We had great waiter who I failed to write down his name so it is lost to history.

Huckleberry Pancakes
What a way to start a day

The Dollar Rental folks were very gracious. Bright young man picked me up at the hotel and I was on my way in ten minutes. They gave me a Outback as a mid-sized SUV. My definitions are a little different, but it was an OK vehicle. The washer controls are where the gear shift is on my Tahoe, so i had to the wipers on a lot. It rode and handled fairly well, but there is no way I would trade it for my Tahoe or Suburban. Might I also say this is another example of how Judy at AAA in Jackson saved us money,,,, she was almost $100 less than my web based efforts.

We traveled up to Two Medicine for the boat ride. Many folks over look this area of the park but in my opinion only Many Glacier is more beautiful. I was also surprised to find out as we went to enter the park that I was eligible for a free lifetime Handicap pass to all the national parks. I was all prepared to ante up for a senior pass but gladly took the opportunity to put my tax dollars to work.


Two Medicine Boat Launch

The vistas at Two Medicine, as I mentioned, are wonderful. We soaked them in and I told She Who Must Be Obeyed this was only a warm up for what was to come. The reservation system was flawless and it was greatly enjoyed. The tour guide was good, but failed to understand my first rule of public presentations - leave humor out. What you or I consider funny may not be so to others, so it is time to join the priesthood and just abstain.


This isn't Ohio anymore

We then ventured up 49 which everyone warned me would be an adventure. I am not sure I would like to drive it at night in a blizzard, but I found no problems with it.

Our plan was to stop and have lunch at the Snow Goose Grill at St, Mary's, but we got there too late. I had a list of places to stop at Babb, ten miles up the road. Before we got there we hit the Twin Sisters Cafe, advertised as "near Babb" which was on the Sunday itinerary. Hard right into the parking lot and we were there.

Two Sisters
Not what I expected for Native Art

Roadside Cafe decor on steroids: license plates from all over, bumper stickers, photos of important people eating there but backed up by some pretty solid food. The Huckleberry tea was wonderful. The Chilli cheeseburger should not be missed.


Almost to Many Glacier

We made our way up to Many Glacier, and checked in for our second night in Glacier. It is everything, and if not more, than I remembered. My mother used to say it was the last place on earth God made, and when he finished she turned (my mother always referred to God as a female) to the Devil and said "Beat this." In my opinion you can’t.


This is a room with a view

MG was a spacious room, huge bathroom, great balcony. We were down on the west wing, on the second floor which was actually ground level. Some have mentioned the thinness of the walls, but we never heard another guest our entire three nights. The shower, usually a problem in something a century old, was great. They have been involved in a lot of safety restoration, in fact I took to time to ready the planning documents, and they seem to be pulling it off flawlessly. Take the deck medications - they are all three inch steel pipe layered with wood to create the ancient effect.


Words don't do the scenery justice




I will never have another room in my life with a view this beautiful. I could spend the rest of my life looking at this. Regretfully I will probably never get to visit again.

The Ptarmigan dining room is very visually interesting but I think it is sad the food does not begin to match the view. In the words of the great Dick Clark "it's a sixty five - very awe inspiring yet the food is mediocre". The first night was our best. She Who Must Be Obeyed had the trout - fresh, well prepared, tasty. However the "California Blend" (with apologies to the old Colonial Restaurant, was just below mediocre. The cauliflower was ok, the broccoli was overcooked, and the rice was bland. I had the signature prime rib which was very well seasoned but tough. Same veggies, same problems. No salad with the meal, but I will say the pumpernickel dinner rolls are superior. If i were to sum it up, the chef needs to learn how to season as most of the food because it was bland.



Lilyofthefield on Trip Advisor asked for room photos











No comments:

Post a Comment