Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 8 August 12th: Glacier View Golf, Trail of the Cedars, Lake McDonald Boat Tour, Izaak Walton Inn – return to East Glacier – Dancing Bears Inn


Glacier View Golf
Trip Advisor actually uses this as the photo for the course

From the start of planning for our trip, I was committed to playing the Glacier View Golf Course. East Glacier has what I would call a “Par 3” at Glacier Park Lodge but GVCG is the real thing. Albeit short, and flat, it is well maintained and fun to play.


I have been playing for 57 years, and I think this is the 426th course I have played. For sure the scenery is great, not Pebble Beach, but great. I played at my handicap – 14 over with a bad set of rental clubs. No 7 iron, no 9 iron, no lob wedge and no driver (not really needed) for the front nine. Making it worse the renters had an offset housel (golf talk) which I hate. Even with all that it was a marvelous round.

Albeit short at 4,900 yards it is well groomed and fun to play. The greens, even with the rental putter played true and there is enough challenge in them to make up for the lack of length of the links. Other than the triple bogey on 9 I still shot my handicap and had great playing partners in Bob and Sandy, a local couple. It won’t host the open but it is fun to play. I would remiss if I did not add that the staff was extremely cordial, and added to the enjoyment of the day. With my own sticks I would have broken 80.










After a very pleasant lunch at The Lake McDonald Lodge, we took the final (of four) boat tours we took in the park, and enjoyed it. About an hour in length we had an NP internee as a narrator. Not as good as those with more experience, but not because of her effort. It is different from the rest of the tours because the Lake McDonald is the largest lake. We did see a bald eagle on shore. We enjoyed all of the tours, as each were unique.

When we got off the boat, we finished our time in the park by taking the Trail of the Cedars. This wonderful one mile level stroll through the woods, either on boardwalk or paved path is unmatched. 







it was time for us to leave. We drove back down to West Glacier and then picked up US2 headed for East Glacier. On the way my plan was to stop in Essex at the Izaak Walton Inn. What a way to end the trip or perhaps most fittingly, what a last supper!!


She Who Must Be Obeyed wanted to sit on the veranda and I silently applauded. The BNS tracks are maybe 200 yards south. The cars used as rooms are up on the hill, and the Great Northern engine renovated into a suite sits off to the East. We had a couple of freights pass by and played “count the tanker cars.” What a setting.

And unlike Many Glacier, the food exceeded the view. She had the Stroganoff, as good as ever made. I had a pork chop to die for. If I ever return, I think a night in one of the Caboose’s will be in order. It is easy to drive by without stopping. You would be foolish if you do.

We ended our week long trip in Glacier with a stay at the Dancing Bears Inn. It was a fluke, we originally intended to spend the last night in West Glacier but it was $75 to leave the rental there so we planned to drive back to East Glacier first thing in the morning. Then they changed the EB schedule and we had no desire to get up early enough to arrive there at 6:45 am.

We had already stayed at the Glacier Park Lodge so we chose Dancing Bears Inn because of Trip Advisor, and am I glad we did.

The hosts, Desiree and Randy went out of the way to do everything to make the stay perfect. He walked me down to the room to show me the amenities which included great Wi-Fi and a clean well-lighted place. Shower was great, and the beds were comfy. Going down for coffee and the breakfast treats made it complete.

I may never return to East Glacier, but I know where I will stay if I do.



I took two bags over to the train station to check them for the morning. We had decided that would be a lot easier then hauling them around

No comments:

Post a Comment