Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 10 August 24th Goodbye Amtrak, Hello Waukee



















Being on the last car is a lot different than being on the first sleeper. There is a natural whip motion, accentuated the further back from the head end you go. Also for whatever reasons the wheel trucks, right under the H room, were a lot noisier on #8 than westbound. I noticed it but it didn’t bother me. She Who Must Be Obeyed did. Again this is part of our decision to take a regular roomette if possible on future trips.

We made lunch reservations,, but being two hours late it was going to be a flip whether or not we made it to them. I came back to a plan B, with Derrick bringing a couple of Angus burgers to the room. As we got ready to detrain at LSE Julie started calling our reservation. We began laughing and Derrick realize why. He jumped on the intercom and cancelled them just as we pulled in.




The bags were there. The Tahoe was untouched. We plugged in the Garmin for a ritual trip across my favorite place – Iowa. Once we crossed the Mississippi we stopped at a carryout to ice up the cooler. Then we headed to Caledonia and then Decorah. This is not the “flat” Iowa everyone is used to

We started out by firing up the Glympse app for my phone. It sends texts at given intervals to folks telling them where you are at. Eliminates all the calls about “where are you at” phone calls. Patrick, my son in law thought I was nuts for my route. Instead of taking I-90 over to I-35 I wandered down to pick up Iowa 3 – running that straight west to I-35.

When we arrived at the Best Western in Clive. This was our last stop in a fourteen day land cruise with Amtrak - finishing off with a stop to see the charming daughter in Death Monez. We weren't going to spend a lof of time in the room nothing more than sleep and shower. We were pleasantly surprised. Good sized room, two very comfortable bed and an awesome view of the parking lot !! The breakfast was very good, the shower had tons of hot water, and the staff were very pleasant to these weary travelers. As my daughter has just recently moved to the area, I now know where we will stay when we go to see here.

Boo and Patrick prepared a marvelous meal of Iowa Protein, steak and pork to die for. Who needs to go out when you can eat like this? I had the chance to spend some time with Elsa and they were gracious enough to give us the leftovers, which we ate on for about a week

No comments:

Post a Comment